Friday, June 4, 2010

Suffering for the Organic Garden

This is the earliest we have ever made it to the cabin. I love it here this time of year. Right now there is a sea of flowering bunchberry (cornus canadensis) in front of the cabin and I am putting in my first "serious" garden in years. The thing is, you can have cold, windy weather or black flies. This get-up actually didn't even save me. I forgot to tuck in my shirt and they climbed up and removed several juicy bites from my belly (not enough to qualify for liposuction).

This next picture shows me preparing the raised bed by the cabin for the "square foot" gardening technique. It's a windy day so I am not wearing the bug hat. The idea of the raised bed is that it warms up faster and one stuffs lots of organic material into the soil so that it can support more intensive growth. Then you divide the plot up into sections and plant a small number of seeds (or transplants) into each section. We'll see. Whatever happens we will have to build some kind of barricade against the varying hares. Last year they ate everything I planted! I hope to get the rest of the garden planted this weekend and will post a picture as soon as we get the fence up.

---- Jan

1 comment: